Reed A. Cartwright posted Entry 3324 on September 16, 2007 12:57 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/3308

Sometime early this week, we will be upgrading the server software, transitioning to PostgreSQL, and deploying a new site design. Service may get spotty, but enjoy a sample of our new look:

sample.jpg

Use KwickXML formatting to markup your comments: <b>, <i>, <u> <s>, <quote author="...">, <url href="...">, etc. You may need to refresh before you will see your comment.

Remember personal info?

Comment #208335

Posted by Doc Bill on September 16, 2007 1:20 AM (e)

We are Panda!

Hear us roar!

Comment #208394

Posted by Bob O'H on September 16, 2007 4:52 AM (e)

Roar? It looks more like a good hearty laugh to me.

Bob

Comment #208399

Posted by g on September 16, 2007 5:41 AM (e)

Allow me to be the first to say how much I hate the new design. But I come here for the writing, not the blog template, so no matter.

Comment #208442

Posted by djlactin on September 16, 2007 8:13 AM (e)

hmm… might you need to change your name to “the panda’s smile”?

Comment #208450

Posted by pig on September 16, 2007 8:41 AM (e)

That’s rubbish! It doesn’t even fill up a quarter of the screen, how am I supposed to read the articles? And you cut off the ‘humb’ in your ridiculously oversized header, too. 4/10

Comment #208471

Posted by Shalini on September 16, 2007 10:08 AM (e)

The new design is simply horrible. Stick to the old one, please…

Comment #208487

Posted by MartinM on September 16, 2007 10:45 AM (e)

Please tell me that was humour.

Comment #208548

Posted by stevaroni on September 16, 2007 1:01 PM (e)

ooooh… angry bears…. Stephen Colbert warned me about this….

Comment #208644

Posted by Jim Anderson on September 16, 2007 7:20 PM (e)

Overall, mixed feelings. But the paw print has to go.

Comment #208647

Posted by steve s on September 16, 2007 7:30 PM (e)

A lot of people might think that Panda is growling. It’s not. It’s laughing as it reads Judge Jones’s decision.

Comment #208718

Posted by snaxalotl on September 17, 2007 12:51 AM (e)

Comment #208800

Posted by Nic George on September 17, 2007 8:12 AM (e)

My arm is in it! It has my vote.

Comment #208804

Posted by Richard Simons on September 17, 2007 8:42 AM (e)

I just want to say I find the usual pale yellow background to be restfully parchment-like.

I agree. I think there is a tendency for web sites to use what is visually appealing as a pattern without considering their readability over a longer period. Something strongly coloured is fine if you do not expect people to stay long on your site, but for a site like PT an unintrusive background is needed. Some time ago I experimented to see what I found best and it turned out to be a slight random pattern the colour of pale parchment. It’s a bit difficult to imagine what the new PT will look like so I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen a whole page and used it for a while.

Comment #208834

Posted by Torbjörn Larsson, OM on September 17, 2007 10:37 AM (e)

I will suspend judgment until the release on whether it will be thumbs up or down. I don’t see any important questions answered, for example if emoticons will be interpreted as icons. :-)

But I can put a paw down on the stylish footprint, it should be stamped on every comment.

Comment #208914

Posted by Laser on September 17, 2007 5:05 PM (e)

As g points out, it’s the substance that makes PT, not the style. Still, I have to agree with Shalini that the proposed style is disagreeable.

What would be cool is if you could write an algorithm that could “evolve” the current style into a new “species”. That would show the ID proponents that it is possible! (I know, they’d claim the information was “front-loaded”…)

Comment #208952

Posted by Sir_Toejam on September 17, 2007 8:41 PM (e)

meh, it’s not like it would be a hard thing to change the general appearance AFTER the server software is changed; especially now that they are going with a postgres back end driven model.

if most don’t like it, it shouldn’t be hard to change quick enough.

I’m curious to see what it will look like, myself.

Comment #208953

Posted by Sir_Toejam on September 17, 2007 8:44 PM (e)

that’s actually not hard to do at all. We used to do that for clients all the time; write a system that generates a standard web page served from content in a database, and the user themselves can choose from a variety of templates to modify the style and content that gets displayed.

heck, that’s pretty common for a number of major websites now, IIRC (even google does it).

they just use cookie data to display the site layout as you choose, with the information you choose.

of course, that would mean someone would have to design a flexible front end, with multiple styles, and a data retrieval system using cookies stored on the users machine.

meh, maybe it is easier in theory than practice, especially since Reed probably has to do everything.

Comment #209001

Posted by Popper's Ghost on September 18, 2007 2:20 AM (e)

Please tell me that was humour.

What if you were told it wasn’t? Would you believe that as readily as if you were told it was?

Comment #209002

Posted by Popper's Ghost on September 18, 2007 2:25 AM (e)

Greasemonkey

Comment #209113

Posted by lawilson200 on September 18, 2007 11:35 AM (e)

Um. I am not sure I care for the new header. It looks like the bear is about to chew his way through the computer screen. And yes, the paw print has to go too. It does seem that your thinking is heading in the right direction, this website does need an updated look. But, I would use a different photograph of a panda for your header.