Wesley R. Elsberry posted Entry 3076 on April 17, 2007 05:00 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/3066

Over at After the Bar Closes, Steve Story has set up a poll asking for educational background from PT/AtBC participants. With 90 responses in, the results so far are:

1. PhD Science 32 [35.56%]
  2. PhD Humanities 3 [3.33%]
  3. BS/BA/Ma Science 39 [43.33%]
  4. BS/BA/Ma Humanities 13 [14.44%]
  5. High School 3 [3.33%]
  6. Lots of Scientific American 0 [0.00%]
  7. I Done Readed a Lot on the Internets 0 [0.00%]

Check it out.

Use KwickXML formatting to markup your comments: <b>, <i>, <u> <s>, <quote author="...">, <url href="...">, etc. You may need to refresh before you will see your comment.

Remember personal info?

Posted by txjak on April 17, 2007 6:06 PM (e)

I couldn’t register. No matter what I tried it said the two passwords I entered didn’t match. I tried both Firefox and Opera.

What’s up with that?

Posted by PoxyHowzes on April 17, 2007 6:51 PM (e)

Ok, don’t give us MS’s a box to tick. (Goes away, ticked off…)

Posted by Dean Morrison on April 17, 2007 7:05 PM (e)

I’ve set up a similar thing on Ben Goldacre’s ‘Bad Science site to compare with UK’ish people of a similar bent:

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 17, 2007 7:56 PM (e)

I interpreted the “Ma” as master’s generically.

Not sure about the failure to register. The IP addresses of banned people would result in that behavior, though, as one class of possible explanation.

Posted by Scott Simmons on April 17, 2007 8:02 PM (e)

And what’s a BS Science/Humanities double major to do, hmmm?

Posted by steve s on April 17, 2007 8:08 PM (e)

Yeah, I meant Ma to mean any kind of Master’s. That’s the second attempt at the poll. The first attempt had a distinction between ‘soft science’ and ‘hard science’, which is a distinction I don’t believe in, and was stupid to make.

Posted by LEW on April 17, 2007 8:14 PM (e)

add another Bachelors Science. I’m not gonna bother to register and vote.

Posted by Kevin on April 17, 2007 8:17 PM (e)

BA Mathematics!

and lots of that internet/sci amer/sci fi readings

Posted by Flint on April 17, 2007 8:36 PM (e)

Two science and one humanities degrees. Do I do best two out of three? Do I count only the highest degree?

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 17, 2007 9:03 PM (e)

I only counted my highest degree.

Posted by Science Avenger on April 17, 2007 9:09 PM (e)

I’m a BS Mathematics that did every research paper in my life on a scientist. Came here to join the fray and learn a little biology. You have not disappointed.

Posted by txjak on April 17, 2007 9:55 PM (e)

Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

I can’t imagine why my IP address would be in your list of banned people, unless it was spoofed, mistyped, or misidentified. I’ll let it slide for now, since I have alternate paths to register, but it bothers me that my IP address may have been misused. It’s a form of identity theft.

Posted by Chip Poirot on April 17, 2007 9:56 PM (e)

Whatever happened to the ** Social ** Sciences?

Posted by steve s on April 17, 2007 10:03 PM (e)

The social sciences are included in the sciences.

Posted by djlactin on April 17, 2007 10:17 PM (e)

Hey! It’s a E-lightist ole-boy’s club what don’t ‘low gests to vote. Keeps out us rabble I’m guessin’. How do I register my Ph.D. in Entomology?

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 17, 2007 10:22 PM (e)

So far, only Karl Priest has turned out to be too, er, challenged to locate and submit a registration for the site. That I know of.

Posted by Tex on April 17, 2007 11:07 PM (e)

I completed several Twelve Step programs. Does that count?

Posted by geogeek on April 18, 2007 2:42 AM (e)

Unwilling to register, MSc (in oceanography).

And kinda torqued that BS and MS are in one catagory. That was 3.5 years of freakin’ hard work, and not an extension of an undergraduate degree.

Posted by djlactin on April 18, 2007 4:00 AM (e)

Looking a bit different now that WEL alerted us!

PhD Sciences 26 (35.1%)
PhD Humanities 3 (4.1)
B/M Sciences 33 (44.6)
B/M Humanities 10 (13.5)
HS 2 (2.7)
Sci Amer 0 (0)
Internet 0 (0)

Posted by SteveF on April 18, 2007 5:58 AM (e)

BSc, MSc and currently working for a PhD.

Posted by science nut on April 18, 2007 7:28 AM (e)

Overall….the merit badges (degrees) really don’t mean much.

Too bad we can’t survey/measure the passion for science or compassion for humanity.

Don’t fret if there isn’t a pigeon hole for your situation within this survey. It is what’s in your head and not what’s on the wall that counts.

Posted by J-Dog on April 18, 2007 8:16 AM (e)

Science Nut - Yes, you are correct dog!

Dr. Dr. William Dembski is a “PERFECT” example of Degrees Gone Bad - Double PhD smarts, but NO science or love of humanity smarts.

Dembski = Nothing but a Science Playa Hata.

Posted by Richard Simons on April 18, 2007 8:57 AM (e)

I have also been unable to log on. Going through the ‘forgot password’ procedure, everything was OK except I never received the new password. Thinking I may have registered using a now-defunct e-mail address, I tried to re-register under a new user name, but it would not allow me to as the address is already in use.

Several months ago I could go through the log on procedure, apparently with no problems, except when I tried to do anything it complained I was not logged on. (I tried this repeatedly, using Firefox and Internet Explorer.) Like txjak I can’t imagine that I was banned for any reason.

Posted by Mike on April 18, 2007 10:11 AM (e)

BSc(Math/Sci), LLB here, but can’t be arsed to vote.

Posted by Ben (t.o.o.) on April 18, 2007 10:31 AM (e)

I couldn’t get in and don’t have time to fiddle with it, but for the record, I’ve got a Bachelor’s in biochemistry and am far enough along a biology Ph.D track that if my project utterly fails tomorrow, I would likely get a consolation masters.

Posted by Mustafa Mond, FCD on April 18, 2007 11:36 AM (e)

Did he tabulate how many FCDs?

Posted by Mustafa Mond, FCD on April 18, 2007 11:41 AM (e)

I only counted my highest degree.

I had a fever of 102 once when I was young.

Posted by OMB on April 18, 2007 1:00 PM (e)

Where is the Community College drop out option?

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 18, 2007 1:01 PM (e)

Drat Steve Story for not listing “102 F” among the options!

Posted by harold on April 18, 2007 8:11 PM (e)

I guess I’m rarer than I thought.

MD long ago, MBA pending in June. Board certified pathologist, three years on faculty at a not-very-famous medical school, then some private practice at what it now a division of a big “biotcech” company, but no longer practicing.

MBA in finance. Was doing a second major in statistics, but got sucked into a job at a startup, so had to let that go one credit shy of a major.

No, I’m not making any money yet. May never.

Posted by Sir_Toejam on April 18, 2007 8:27 PM (e)

money…

what’s that again?

Posted by Kevin on April 18, 2007 9:07 PM (e)

Posted by harold on April 18, 2007 8:11 PM (e)

I guess I’m rarer than I thought.

No, I’m not making any money yet. May never.

dude that is a sad story.

I dropped out of college and only went back when I was making stacks of cash.

by the way where does a BA in math fit in? It is NOT a science. more like the humanities.

Posted by txjak on April 18, 2007 9:28 PM (e)

BA in Math is science more than humanities. I chose science. If you look up
mathematics in Wikipedia you’ll see alot of the science connectedness.

Posted by brightmoon on April 18, 2007 11:14 PM (e)

BS biology (and i still can’t type) too late at night for me to think of wrestling with a new password…. sorry

Posted by Paul Flocken on April 19, 2007 9:53 AM (e)

Posted by Sir_Toejam on April 18, 2007 8:27 PM (e)
money…
what’s that again?

That’s what that science and humanity hata Dumbski has. Barf

Posted by harold on April 19, 2007 10:37 AM (e)

Sir_Toejam -

“money…

what’s that again?”

Hopefully I’ll be able to let you know in a few years.

The first step toward recovery was resisting the urge to let the MBA turn into a springboard for PhD in something like stats or economics…

Posted by Pumpkinhead on April 20, 2007 6:05 AM (e)

Overall….the merit badges (degrees) really don’t mean much.

I don’t know whether you are a Christian or an Evolutionist, but it takes rare insight to challenge the legitimacy of the certificates from the seminaries of evolutionism. I salute you!

Posted by brightmoon on April 20, 2007 7:42 AM (e)

High School 3 [3.33%]
Lots of Scientific American 0 [0.00%]
I Done Readed a Lot on the Internets 0 [0.00%]

actually ..this is worrisome ..we should be looking to give more info to these people not scaring them away

pumpkinhead …..evolutionism? …..evolution is an easily observed process, deary, not a religion/religious belief

Posted by hoary puccoon on April 22, 2007 9:14 AM (e)

BA, MA, PhD in sociology, with my master’s thesis on the sociology of science. Then I became a love slave in the Caribbean, but that’s a whole other story.

Posted by Henry J on April 23, 2007 1:42 PM (e)

BS in computer science (what’s now called software engineering), with minor in mathematics.

Henry

Posted by Richard Simons on April 23, 2007 2:53 PM (e)

BSc Agricultural Botany, MSc, PhD Crop Science, then some years later BSc Math/Comp. Sci. For my sins, I am now mainly teaching high school mathematics.