PvM posted Entry 2853 on January 24, 2007 07:51 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2843

The NCSE reports on an Antievolution bill in Mississippi

Mississippi’s House Bill 625, introduced by Representative Mike Lott (R-District 104) on January 9, 2007, and referred to the House Committee on Education, would provide, if enacted, “The school board of a school district may allow the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in the schools within the district. However, if the theory of evolution is required to be taught as part of the school district’s science curriculum, in order to provide students with a comprehensive education in science, the school board also must include the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in the science curriculum.” A similar provision was part of 2005’s House Bill 953, of which Lott was the chief sponsor; HB 953 died in committee on January 31, 2006.

Comment: Seems that the faithful have not gotten the Discovery Institute’s memo. However, the link between ID and creationism seems undeniable once again.

Use KwickXML formatting to markup your comments: <b>, <i>, <u> <s>, <quote author="...">, <url href="...">, etc. You may need to refresh before you will see your comment.

Remember personal info?

Posted by W. Kevin Vicklund on January 24, 2007 9:24 PM (e)

Someone needs to send them a copy of the 1987 Edwards Supreme Court decision. This law would be in direct violation.

Posted by ThomasHobbes on January 24, 2007 11:11 PM (e)

Indeed, there is true gall in creating a bill that says almost exactly the same thing as the bill that was struck down in Edwards. How arrogant and disconnected from reality can you get?

Yeah, yeah, I know–the sky’s the limit.

Posted by Henry J on January 24, 2007 11:13 PM (e)

This reminders me of one of Lenny’s canned spiels…

Henry

Posted by Henry J on January 24, 2007 11:17 PM (e)

This reminders me of one of Lenny’s canned spiels…

Henry

Posted by kay on January 25, 2007 12:05 AM (e)

I’m in favor of this – let them spend time, money and energy into something that WILL be overturned five minutes after it’s challenged.

Posted by Frank J on January 25, 2007 6:14 AM (e)

Can’t you just picture John West beating his head against the wall, and Lenny almost choking on his pizza with laughter?

BTW, a quick google shows “no relation” to Trent Lott. Which is of course wrong. Even some IDers have conceded common descent.

Anyway, Mike, if your reading, the “memo” says not to say anything about creationism or intelligent design, and just to misrepresent evolution. Got it?

Posted by KL on January 25, 2007 6:22 AM (e)

You know, I love the state of Mississippi; lots of good friends from there. However, I am starting to understand the Alabama State Motto:

“Thank God for Mississippi, or we’d be last!”

Understandable when you have the likes of Trent Lott in your corner.

(My apologies to any Tide fans out there; Go Vols!)

Posted by Peter on January 25, 2007 6:40 AM (e)

Man. Will they never learn?

Posted by Shirley Knott on January 25, 2007 7:03 AM (e)

Of course they will never learn.
If they were capable of learning, they would not be ID supporters.

hugs,
Shirley Knott

Posted by Flint on January 25, 2007 7:42 AM (e)

The Mississippi legislators aren’t stupid, but they also know the level of education and the flavor of faith of their constituents, and what buttons to poke to win undying devotion.

Posted by Glen Davidson on January 25, 2007 11:00 AM (e)

I’m sure you’re right. The thing is that it’s another faux pas in the legal and PR attempts to claim that ID isn’t just a lowest common denominator form of creationism, as no doubt you recognize.

Meanwhile, Michael Behe comes to my town speaking at a religious college. One of his speeches is titled: “Fearfully and Wonderfully Made: The Intelligent Design of Life”. Ah, isn’t that nice, words taken out of the King James Version of the Bible, repeated by creationists ad nauseum, and wedded to “Intelligent Design” in Behe’s speech.

It’s been said repeatedly, but they don’t know how to keep their mouths shut. Behe whines about Jones concluding that ID was religious in nature, and he goes out making speeches punctuating that fact (then again, where would he be without religious sponsors and creationist listeners?). That he thinks the “designer” is God makes no difference to the science, of course. And he’s right about that, since the “designer” is defined to be predictive of nothing except what we happen to observe, while entailing nothing whatsoever.

Glen D

Posted by Glen Davidson on January 25, 2007 11:01 AM (e)

Glen D

Posted by Glen Davidson on January 25, 2007 11:04 AM (e)

The server still glitches, I see. I even checked to see if my post appeared before the third posting, and still the second posting didn’t appear until I’d hit “post” again (first post didn’t take).

Glen D

Posted by Flint on January 25, 2007 12:46 PM (e)

Glen:

I don’t think there’s any misunderstanding here. Behe knows perfectly well who butters his bread. The Mississippi guy Lott couldn’t care less about Phillip Johnson’s wedge strategy; he’s looking to get re-elected by his district.

And I’ve sensed that the position that ID is science in which religion plays no role is being phased out as a PR posture. In Nixon’s immortal words, it is “no longer operative”. It’s been trotted out as a trial horse in a landmark legal battle, and in several efforts by State school boards, and hasn’t fooled anyone.

So the science angle still gets lip service, but clearly Behe’s speaking fees aren’t going to be paid by scientists or scientifically literate audiences and he knows it.

This Mississippi bill is another indicator of the same thing. “ID” as positioned in the dying PR campaign fooled nobody in a position to help the creationists either legally or politically. But it DID fool enough potential contributors to be insufficiently cost-effective as a strategy. Time to return to the roots, and make it clear that ID is a codeword for Jesus after all. Send money.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on January 25, 2007 1:07 PM (e)

Flint wrote:

Be it ever thus…

“One of the easiest ways of getting into public office is to denounce Darwin as a scoundrel.”
H.L. Mencken (1880-1956) (1931)

Posted by Duncan Buell on January 25, 2007 4:39 PM (e)

I have to say it again, quoting B. B. “Sixty” Rayburn from the floor of the Louisiana state senate when repeal was being discussed of the law that was struck down as Edwards: “They told me when we passed that law that it was unconstitutional and it was going to cost us a lot of money. I didn’t care about that then, and I don’t care about that now.”

Posted by Shenda on January 25, 2007 6:37 PM (e)

Flint wrote:

“I don’t think people here are taking this in the spirit it was intended. Lott almost surely doesn’t intend this bill to get even a minute’s consideration in any committee. It’s one of the large majority of garbage bills dropped in the hopper even their sponsors would never vote for; these things are created for re-election fodder only. Look folks, I tried to get Jesus back into our lives! Look folks, everyone else is ignoring it. But I’m standing tall for Jesus, you betcha, vote for me!”

While this may be true, you never know what might end up getting passed :)

Posted by Flint on January 25, 2007 9:50 PM (e)

Yep mistakes happen

Posted by JaLo on January 29, 2007 11:17 AM (e)

FYI - http://www.ls.state.ms.us/house/lott.htm

Resume Highlights:

1. New Orleans Seminary
2. President of the Mississippi Legislative Conservative Coalition
3. He is of the Southern Baptist faith
4. Subcommittee chairman on the House Education Committee

It’s not suprising that eduction is subpar in this state. I guess I’ll have to spring for private school for my son.

Posted by JaLo on January 29, 2007 11:21 AM (e)

“eduction” was not an intentional typo, however, I was educated in MS public schools

Posted by JaLo on January 29, 2007 11:24 AM (e)

“eduction” was not an intentional typo, although I was educated in MS public schools