Nick Matzke posted Entry 2684 on November 2, 2006 06:25 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2676

This just in from the Pensacola News-Journal:

‘Dr. Dino,’ wife guilty

Jury deliberations took about three hours.

A federal jury has convicted Kent Hovind and his wife, Jo, of tax fraud.

Hovind faces a maximum of 288 years in prison. His wife faces up to 225 years. Her charges include aiding and abetting her husband with 44 counts of evading bank-reporting requirements.

And at the end:

Defense lawyers for the Hovinds rested their case on Wednesday without presenting evidence or calling witnesses.

My question: if the Hovinds weren’t going to put on a defense, why didn’t they just make a plea bargain agreement, avoid the ordeal of a trial, and get reduced sentences?

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 6:44 PM (e)

hmm, somebody owes me an apology for suggesting in the related thread that this wouldn’t turn out to be an early xmas present.

Posted by David B. Benson on November 2, 2006 6:45 PM (e)

Martyrdom?

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 6:47 PM (e)

Appeal.

It seems logical that if you want to challenge the very basis for conviction, that you would waive defense and simply go straight for the appeal.

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 6:52 PM (e)

Appeal.

Posted by DragonScholar on November 2, 2006 6:54 PM (e)

I’m trying to figure out what their legal strategy was myself.

One of my theories is they’re hoping for some kind of political favor, popular opinion, SOMETHING to save their butts. Which doesn’t seem forthcoming.

Posted by DragonScholar on November 2, 2006 6:55 PM (e)

I’m trying to figure out what their legal strategy was myself.

Posted by Shalini, BBWAD on November 2, 2006 7:20 PM (e)

Nah, just going to jail for Jesus.

Posted by Nelson Blaha on November 2, 2006 7:29 PM (e)

Hooray! It’s about time. It’s fascinating to me that he maintains his belongings are actually God’s, despite the mysterious $6,000 checks to his kids from the CSE coffers.

Posted by delphi_ote on November 2, 2006 7:31 PM (e)

I disagreed with everything he stood for and everything he did, but I still feel sorry for him right now. Deep down, I think the guy just needed help he couldn’t get. It’s a shame that his supporters, religion, and family enabled him for so long.

Posted by Michael on November 2, 2006 7:53 PM (e)

Does this mean I have no chance of winning the $250k? I’m almost done with my proof.

Posted by Wayne Francis on November 2, 2006 7:56 PM (e)

Hmmm aren’t most appeals limited to the evidence shown in the lower court trial?

I honestly don’t see what grounds they would appeal on.

Any word on when the sentencing is going to take place?

Posted by Parse on November 2, 2006 8:06 PM (e)

Someone had said it in an earlier Hovind thread, that what he may be after is a ‘victimization’ complex - “Oh, look at me, I’m the victim of an activist judge… and an activist jury… and an activist police department… and an activist IRS agent…”
By not putting up a defense, he can use the (completely incorrect) excuse later on that “Everyone was consipiring against me, and there is no way I could have received a fair trial. They didn’t even let me present a defense! But if I did put up a defense, I would’ve gotten off scott free…”

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 8:24 PM (e)

I honestly don’t see what grounds they would appeal on.

wait, so NOW you think Hovind will see things honestly?

I dind’t say an appeal would have a snowball’s chance in hell, I merely think it a logical step for Hovind to take, given what his thinking is to begin with.

Posted by steve s on November 2, 2006 8:25 PM (e)

Syntax Error: mismatched tag 'quote.'

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 8:58 PM (e)

btw, for anybody who missed it, perhaps an even better thing to have happen today:

seeing Teddy boy go down is perhaps even sweeter. It certainly has more impact on evangelicals at large.

Posted by DistendedPendulusFrenulum on November 2, 2006 9:32 PM (e)

I’d go for the martyrdom strategy. Christian paranoia is big business. It gets politicians elected, the Liberal Bashing Industry profits from it, and it keeps (the radical wing of) Christian believers in line.

They’ll be sending out the standard propaganda from within the jail–LBI boilerplate–Christan persecution, activist judges, godless liberals controlling society…

Posted by Coin on November 2, 2006 9:43 PM (e)

Appeal.

Either that or he wants to be a martyr real, real bad.

Posted by kay on November 2, 2006 10:38 PM (e)

HAHAHAHA PWNED

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on November 2, 2006 10:43 PM (e)

Cool. Two in one day.

Posted by Dave Carlson on November 2, 2006 10:57 PM (e)

Syntax Error: mismatched tag 'Homer'

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on November 2, 2006 11:51 PM (e)

His inevitable appeal has not yet been denied, and he’s not in jail yet.

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 2, 2006 11:56 PM (e)

His inevitable appeal has not yet been denied, and he’s not in jail yet.

backpeddle.

IIRC, you said there would be delays in trial.

trial’s over.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on November 2, 2006 11:58 PM (e)

His inevitable appeal has not yet been denied, and he’s not in jail yet.

Posted by Sir_Toejam on November 3, 2006 12:02 AM (e)

bill, here is what you said:

Oh, please! You can’t possibly believe there won’t be enough delays to push the result into next year…

result is in.

guilty.

if you now claim to be saying that you really were talking about actual incarceration or the result of appeal, I again say:

backpeddaling.

Posted by Jason Spaceman on November 3, 2006 3:19 AM (e)

They will be sentenced on January 9, according to this story:

Pensacola evangelist and tax protester Kent Hovind winked at his wife and gave her a reassuring smile as he was led away to jail.

Jo Hovind clutched the necktie he had been wearing. She kept her eyes on her husband until he was out of sight.

A 12-person jury deliberated for 2½ hours on Thursday before finding the couple guilty of all counts in their tax-fraud case.

Kent Hovind, founder of Creation Science Evangelism and Dinosaur Adventure Land in Pensacola, was found guilty of 58 counts, including failure to pay $845,000 in employee-related taxes. He faces a maximum of 288 years in prison.

Jo Hovind was charged and convicted in 44 of the counts involving evading bank-reporting requirements. She faces up to 225 years in prison but was allowed to remain free pending the couple’s sentencing on Jan. 9.

Posted by Chuck C on November 3, 2006 6:51 AM (e)

Mike Jones, 49, of Denver told The Associated Press he decided to go public with his allegations because of the political fight. Jones, who said he is gay, said he was upset when he discovered Haggard and the New Life Church had publicly opposed same-sex marriage.

Posted by Aagcobb on November 3, 2006 7:36 AM (e)

Hovind made a legal defense that the prosecution failed to make the case against Hovind. Since the burden of proof is on the prosecution, the defendant doesn’t have to present any evidence if the prosecution fails to prove his case beyond a reasonable doubt. That being said, Hovind’s argument presented in court, that the prosecutor failed to show he knew he had an obligation to withold taxes, is lame, since generally ignorance of the law is no excuse. But he’ll get his chance to make his argument on appeal. Wouldn’t it be funny if he ended up sharing a cell with another celebrity tax dodger, Richard Hatch (the gay, naked “Survivor”)?

Posted by Flint on November 3, 2006 8:40 AM (e)

My original concern has not changed. I never thought Hovind had much chance of getting off (save for the unlikely possibility that some fanatical nutball creationist lied (gasp!) to get on the jury to hang it). Instead, I’ve always wondered just exactly when and how much Hovind will pay. He has, remember, been in legal trouble for over a decade without being slowed down noticeably.

And I’ve noticed (lawyers here can surely explain) that the maximum possible sentence (jail time plus fine) and the sentence actually served and paid tend to be, uh, somewhat different.

So maybe we should start a pool: When will Hovind’s penalty start being paid? As a starting point, once again, remember the clock started over a decade ago…

Posted by Joseph Alden on November 3, 2006 8:58 AM (e)

Hey Lenny, why not come out of the closet yourself ?
That would make it THREE exposed “ Reverends.”

Not just Cool, mr. fraud, I mean, that would be REALLY Cool !

Posted by Joseph Alden on November 3, 2006 9:09 AM (e)

Hey Lenny, why not come out of the closet yourself ?
Go ahead, let’s make it THREE exposed “ Reverends.”

Not just cool, mr. fraud, that would be REALLY Cool !

Posted by Jim Wynne on November 3, 2006 9:28 AM (e)

Flint wrote:

So maybe we should start a pool: When will Hovind’s penalty start being paid?

Yesterday Hovind was whisked away to the calaboose where he will presumably cool his heels while awaiting sentencing on January 9. He and his wife were also ordered to forfeit $430,000, which is the amount of money involved in their smurfing adventures.

Posted by paulh on November 3, 2006 9:32 AM (e)

A pity medical science hasn’t advanced to the point that he can be kept alive for all 288 years.

I think he’s relying on either (a) the prison guards will object to guarding him on grounds that this violates health & safety regs and/or (b) the other prisoners will claim that being in the same prison as him constitutes cruel and unusual punishment, to keep his sorry arse out of clink.

Posted by GuyeFaux on November 3, 2006 10:22 AM (e)

Two in one day!! Amazing. You’re right, I’d much rather see Teddy (W’s spiritual advisor) in jail than the good “Doctor”.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on November 3, 2006 10:26 AM (e)

Toejam:

Instead of going back only to what I wrote, let’s take a look at what I was responding to:

Hovind is doomed.

an early xmas present.

Now, if you are naive enough to think that under a legal system as screwed up as ours, for dishonest charlatans, conviction without sentencing = doom, then I offer my apology and my sympathy.

For myself, I will wait to feel satisfaction until justice is carried out.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on November 3, 2006 10:32 AM (e)

OK, I hadn’t read the article. He is incarcerated pending sentence. Apology offered uncontitionally. Now if this will just actually post on the first or second try…

Posted by Flint on November 3, 2006 10:57 AM (e)

Jim Wynne:

Hallelujah! My faith in the American legal system is restored. I wonder what the mechanics are of “forfeiting” the money.

Posted by Peter Henderson on November 3, 2006 12:26 PM (e)

According to Hovind’s website, he’s only expecting 5 months:

But then agin, it could be in need of updating !

Posted by Christopher Letzelter on November 3, 2006 1:00 PM (e)

Chuck C. said
“Much as I like to see a bible thumper go down, that’s a really special kind of clueless.”

If you read the story, Mr. Haggard was using an alias - “Art” - and so Mr. Jones didn’t know his client was a bible-thumping evangelical pastor.
Chris

Posted by Dave Thomas on November 3, 2006 1:26 PM (e)

Well, maybe Dr. Dino will finally have time for that written debate challenge he refused years ago.
Dave

Posted by Wes on November 3, 2006 1:29 PM (e)

A creationist made his case without presenting any evidence??? Unthinkable!

Posted by Steviepinhead on November 3, 2006 4:17 PM (e)

But the alias Haggard was using was his middle name.

Now, that may have seemed super-sneaky and deeply cryptic on the front end of this hypocritic little scam–after all, Haggard is very well known, but only by his first and last names.

But, um, it’s not such an artful dodge on the back end where, if you are ever outed, you need to be able to engage in something called “plausible deniability”.

So the guy’s the head of a mega-church that’s got wads of cash, uses every hi-tech hi-sales device, and the head of a 30-million strong evangelistic alliance–more cash, more access to tech–both of which are anti-drug, anti-prostitution, anti-gay.

And he wants to indulge in a little gay prostitution while high on meth “just for research.” So does he buy an off-the-shelf voice disguise box for the leaving of voicemail? Uh, no. Does he use something other than his own middle name to “disguise” his secret identity. Duh, no.

Why? Because as god’s very own sanctimonious hypocrit, he’s convinced he’ll never get caught and will never need “plausible deniability.”

And this guy called Dawkins “arrogant”?

In the whole universe, there aren’t enough HAs to follow the initial BWA to express how hilarious this is.

I’m sure RD will be most delicate in making any comment but surely, under the polite British exterior, he is ROTFLHAO!

Posted by Dean Morrison on November 3, 2006 6:55 PM (e)

According to Hovind’s website, he’s only expecting 5 months:

But then agin, it could be in need of updating !

You did notice that his next gig is on April Fool’s day didn’t you? ;)

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on November 3, 2006 7:21 PM (e)

According to Hovind’s website, he’s only expecting 5 months:

Does it say whewther he’ll start paying his taxes after he gets out?

(snicker) (giggle) BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on November 3, 2006 7:24 PM (e)

Hey Lenny, why not come out of the closet yourself ?
That would make it THREE exposed “ Reverends.”

Not just Cool, mr. fraud, I mean, that would be REALLY Cool !

Awwwww, are we feeling a wee bit snitty today …. ?

(snicker) (giggle)

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on November 3, 2006 7:49 PM (e)

When will Hovind’s penalty start being paid?

From today’s news report:

The jury also granted the prosecution’s request for the Hovinds to forfeit $430,400. That amount equals the value of the checks signed and cashed by Jo Hovind in the 44 counts.

U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers released Jo Hovind until sentencing but denied Kent Hovind’s request to be released. He most likely will be detained at either Escambia County Jail or Santa Rosa County Jail until sentencing.

Heldmyer said Kent Hovind was a flight risk and a “danger to the community.”

Posted by Jason Spaceman on November 3, 2006 9:00 PM (e)

Hovind’s militia buddies at Kook Radio are already turning him into a martyr and calling him a political prisoner. Say hello to Kent ‘Mandela’ Hovind:

Pray for Kent Hovind
De. Kent Hovind was jailed November 2, 2006, after being convicted in Pensacola, Florida. His wife “Jo” was released on bail. Sentencing is set for January 2007. Countless prisoners of conviction have been jailed though the years. Remember Nelson Mandella? He emerged from prison to rule his nation. Remember the Apostle Paul? Dr. Hovind is a prisoner of conscience: a politcal prisoner. Pray for him.

Posted by Henry J on November 3, 2006 11:50 PM (e)

Re “The jury also granted the prosecution’s request for the Hovinds to forfeit $430,400.”

Wonder if that would cover the cost of keeping them incarcerated for a few decades?

Henry

Posted by Alan Bird on November 5, 2006 4:41 AM (e)

A double dose of schadenfreude these last few days; it’s all rather satisfying really. Triple if you add Saddam to the mix.

Btw, earlier this year, Richard Dawkins appeared on TV in the UK. He was examining religious fundamentalism, and his programme showed him visiting a christian church in, I think, Colorado Springs. He interviewed the head man (pastor?), and it was noticeable that although both spoke English, there was no communication whatsoever between them. Whatever the opposite of ‘a meeting of minds’ is, that was it. I note that Haggard also comes from Colorado Springs. Was he the man that Dawkins talked to? If so, Prof Dawkins must feel doubly chuffed.

Posted by Alan Bird on November 5, 2006 6:34 AM (e)

Posted by William E Emba on November 5, 2006 12:20 PM (e)

Regarding the Dawkins interview of Haggard, see The Root of All Evil?.

Posted by John Smith on November 17, 2006 2:36 PM (e)

It’s true that it was farfetched to think he could beat the government, but I guess it would also be interesting to see the other side of the story. I don’t think 17 years of fighting the system was just because he didn’t want to pay taxes. We only get the incriminating evidence exposed, but we never get the other side of the story. I’m not justifying what he did, but it would be interesting to see what were his basis, legal or not, to do this. There is obviously more than what is being publish than just “I work for God and I don’t have to pay taxes”
Who knows, maybe we have gotten so used to paying for something and don’t really reason it all out.
I mean we pay taxes that pay the salary of politicians and government officials that represent nothing close to our values, our beliefs, and will much less bring something good to our families and children in the future.

But this is my humble unbiased opinion.

Posted by Coin on November 17, 2006 2:39 PM (e)

What are you talking about, “we never got to see the other side of the story”? Kent Hovind is a professional public speaker. He’s got a blog. If you want to hear what Kent Hovind believes his side of the story to be, you can read it in his own words.

Posted by J-Dog on January 12, 2007 12:31 PM (e)

What’s the status of this turd-brain? Wasn’t he supposed to be sentenced Jan 9?

Posted by BELIVER on January 12, 2007 9:25 PM (e)

WHILE all you prove to yourself HOW you evolved THEY ARE GETTING READY TO START rebuilding the temple in JERUSALEM, TO START ANIMAL SCARFICE REMEMBER THIS AS A BATTLE YOU WON AGAINST A MAN THROWING A ROPE TO DROWING SOULS AND YOU THREW IT BACK .

Posted by Flint on January 12, 2007 10:06 PM (e)

If you can beliver can I bepancreas?

Posted by KL on January 13, 2007 8:07 AM (e)

Scarfice? You mean Al Pacino posts here?

Posted by quick common on January 16, 2007 11:16 PM (e)

common law……they are in thr wrong court