Nick Matzke posted Entry 2532 on August 21, 2006 11:02 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2527

This morning I am doing a live online discussion/debate with Mustafa Akyol (of Kansas hearings fame) at Islamonline.net. It is starting in a few minutes.

Posted by Rich on August 21, 2006 11:11 AM (e)

link is *currently* dead..

Posted by Nick (Matzke) on August 21, 2006 11:32 AM (e)

It’s up now at:

Posted by Rich on August 21, 2006 11:43 AM (e)

This is dead also.

Rich

Posted by KC on August 21, 2006 11:45 AM (e)

Still dead

Posted by GuyeFaux on August 21, 2006 11:47 AM (e)

I wonder if the post about when not to debate applies here…

Posted by KC on August 21, 2006 11:49 AM (e)

Its ok now…but the ‘ask question” link is dead

Posted by Nick (Matzke) on August 21, 2006 12:15 PM (e)

You might have to freely register on the website to see some stuff.

Posted by Nick (Matzke) on August 21, 2006 12:18 PM (e)

I wonder if the post about when not to debate applies here…

It’s a written debate in question/answer format, both are better than the usual creationist Gish Gallop situation.

Posted by Nick (Matzke) on August 21, 2006 1:29 PM (e)

Hmm, maybe PT traffic has swamped that page at IslamOnline.net, we’ve seen that other places.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on August 21, 2006 1:38 PM (e)

Still dead

OT: Showing my age here, the first thing I thought of was “This just in, Generalisimo Francisco Franco…”

Posted by Gary Hurd on August 21, 2006 2:18 PM (e)

The site was available at 12:11 PM PDST.

I think that you did quite well Nick. The only “clinker” might have been refering to NCSE as a “watch dog.” Many Muslims have a very very low opinion of dogs.

Well done.

Posted by Jim Wynne on August 21, 2006 2:58 PM (e)

Many Muslims have a very very low opinion of dogs.

I’ve never understood that; most of the dogs I know speak very highly of Muslims.

Posted by matthew on August 21, 2006 3:40 PM (e)

You did a good job Nick. I especially like how you beat him to the punch in the last round. ALL of his arguments were stock, run-of-the-mill creationist talking points. They’re all starting to sound the same to me…

Full Archived Debate: http://www.islamonline.net/livedialogue/english/…

Posted by Gary Hurd on August 21, 2006 4:47 PM (e)

It is nothing actually in the Quran, but an Arabic bias that was transmitted informally along with the Quran. In fact, there are texts that indicate that Mohamad himself had two dogs. I see if I can dredge up the reference.

Posted by blipey on August 21, 2006 6:36 PM (e)

I will echo everyone else, “Well done.”

I found reading the transcript refreshing for two reasons. One, the forum it was on; that gives me hope. Two, Mr. Akyol’s lack of generating positive evidence in his responses. I think the more people we can get in print avoiding questions the better.

Posted by RBH on August 21, 2006 8:20 PM (e)

From the debate record:

Thank you for joining us today. We apologize for all the questions we couldn’t answer due to the time, we promise to answer them all in another session next week with Nicholas Metzke and Mustafa Akyol

Is there actually going to be a second round?

RBH

Posted by 386sx on August 22, 2006 1:34 AM (e)

Two, Mr. Akyol’s lack of generating positive evidence in his responses.

That, and his transparent not evolution, therefore “poof” baloney. He ain’t kidding nobody.

Posted by Goldstein on August 22, 2006 9:21 AM (e)

It looks like a “lets hate Jews” site to me.

I’ll pass.

Posted by Goldstein on August 22, 2006 9:21 AM (e)

It looks like a “lets hate Jews” site to me.

I’ll pass.

Posted by Nick ((Matzke)) on August 22, 2006 2:15 PM (e)

Is there actually going to be a second round?

There were leftover questions that we didn’t have time to get to. I replied to those on email and they will post them next week.

Posted by Popper's ghost on August 22, 2006 3:04 PM (e)

It looks like a “lets hate Jews” site to me.

That looks like a “let’s stereotype (and hate) Muslims” comment to me.