Wesley R. Elsberry posted Entry 2473 on July 24, 2006 09:10 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2468

Dr. Lori Marino, a colleague of mine at Emory University, sent out a call for action to end the Japanese drive hunts that annually kill dolphins and small whales. I got it relayed from Dr. Brenda McCowan at UC Davis. The short version is that scientists and zoological park professionals have gotten together to condemn Japan’s small cetacean drive hunts and are looking to collect a million signatures on a petition to try to get it shut down before the next scheduled drive hunts this coming October.

The petition site is ActForDolphins.org. Please visit it soon.

I’ve converted the three MS Word documents that I received as attachments to the safer and more portable Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

Call For Action
Press Release
Statements from Scientists

I’m proud to say to two of my committee members, Bill Evans and Sam Ridgway, are on the “Statements” page above.

I’ll append the text of the email I got. Please pass on word of this to your friends and acquaintances. Please also note here or on O.Z. in the comments if you sign the petition.

(Continue reading at Online Zoologists)

Posted by Alice on July 24, 2006 9:33 PM (e)

Omg! I so agree with you! Down with the japanese killing the whales and dolphins. That is so cruel and they just do it for food don’t they? I don’t know why they do this because it’s soo cruel. I will sign the petition because I agree with you so badly. NO MORE WHALE KILLING AND DOLPHIN KILLING. It’s outrageous, I hate them for doing that. I hate them, I’m glad I haven’t met them!!

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on July 25, 2006 12:52 AM (e)

Meta-talk stuff goes off to the Bathroom Wall.

Posted by Inoculated Mind on July 25, 2006 2:01 AM (e)

Hah, I know who Brenda McCowan is, I had her grad student on my show. I’m so signed.

Posted by Corkscrew on July 25, 2006 5:23 AM (e)

I fully support the cause, and am gonna go sign the petition in a moment, but I could wish that they’d talked less about the horrifying nature of the slaughtering process and more about the unnecessariness (sp?) and the dolphins’ cognitive ability.

See, we had the anti-animal-testing rabble protesting outside my uni for a couple of years, and the talk about water in the coves turning “red with blood” pings my emotionally-charged-rhetoric meter.

The key question that visitors are going to be asking isn’t “how cruel is the process” (very) or “how many are killed” (lots) - it’s “why is this different from the killing of, say, cod”. And the email does address that, but in a very roundabout way with lots of fairly irrelevant emotive language thrown in. The point isn’t that they’re being butchered unpleasantly, or that some are being used in the entertainment industry; it’s that they’re among the most sapient creatures on the planet. They’re like us in their capacity to understand what’s going on. And we wouldn’t want hunters killing us, would we?

Posted by Anonymous_Coward on July 25, 2006 5:58 AM (e)

Let’s not forget that the Dolphins are also running a campaign to save us from annihilation. We should at least respect their efforts.

Posted by Where is the PETA website? on July 25, 2006 7:28 AM (e)

In my area of the US entire prarie dog communities are brutally poisoned and shot because developers and ranchers say they compete with then for grazing and land use.

These killings, which are overseen by branches of the US government, inflict pain and suffering on these socially complex animals.

Where can I sign a million signature petition to save them?

Posted by Anonymous_Coward on July 25, 2006 7:33 AM (e)

Where can I sign a million signature petition to save them?

Why should we save THEM?

They’re not petitioning against the plans to build a Hyperspace Expressway through our planet like the Dolphins are.

Posted by Necro on July 25, 2006 7:52 AM (e)

Don’t forget about the river dolphins:

Very interesting stuff.

Posted by Where is the PETA website? on July 25, 2006 8:02 AM (e)

Maybe we could change the name of this website to “Save the Panda’s Thumb”?

Posted by mark on July 25, 2006 9:18 AM (e)

Not that online petitions do any good anyway.

The recipients of an e-petition wrote:

A text file of thousands of names? Like that’s hard to generate with a simple piece of script. Not impressed. Next!

It’s pointless. If you agree with the cause, do something concrete like writing an actual letter.

Sheesh.

Posted by Anonymous_Coward on July 25, 2006 9:19 AM (e)

Jesus Freak, I’ve answered your post in another thread that you infected.

Maybe we could change the name of this website to “Save the Panda’s Thumb”?

Or maybe petition to have more funding for the University of Ediacara.

Posted by Anonymous_Coward on July 25, 2006 9:21 AM (e)

That way, we would busy ourselves with the environmental problems caused by a lack of trees, thus leaving the dolphins in peace.

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on July 25, 2006 6:11 PM (e)

But tape it to a brick first.

Posted by Lauren Warren on November 22, 2006 11:48 PM (e)

Where do i sign the petition? I support you.