Nick Matzke posted Entry 2354 on June 8, 2006 01:01 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2349

The schedule for the special symposium on “Intelligent Design on Trial: Lessons from the Kitzmiller v. Dover creationism case,” on Monday, June 26, 2006 at the Society for the Study of Evolution meeting at SUNY-Stony Brook has been updated (see below).

Further update: Rob Pennock informs me that the symposium will be videotaped, with the intention of putting it on the internet after the meeting.

In other news, although some helpful suggestions have been made, I am still seeking housing for June 24-27, since I was invited only after dorm housing had closed. Like I said, I’ll pay my share and bring a sleeping pad or something. Surely there is a penniless grad student out there somewhere. Email me: matzkeATncseweb.org. (Update: found housing and received several kind offers. Thanks very much.)

Also, I just noticed that in just one day PT became the top google hit for “SSE 2006”, while the actual meeting website is ranked #6.

Updated schedule:

Evolution 2006 Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE) Education Symposium
SUNY at Stony Brook, New York

Monday, June 26, 2006

Organizers: Robert T. Pennock, Michigan State University and Brian Alters, McGill University

List of Speakers

8:30 - 9:15. Brian Bryan Rehm, Kitzmiller Plaintiff and Member, Dover School Board. From parent and teacher to plaintiff and director.

9:15 - 10:00. Robert T. Pennock, Michigan State University. The ground rules of science.

10:00 - 10:30. Coffee Break

10:30 - 11:15. Barbara Forrest, Southeastern Louisiana University. On being a “hybrid expert”: detailing the intelligent design “Wedge Strategy” in federal court.

11:15 - 12:00. John F. Haught, Georgetown University. Evolution and faith: What is at stake?

12 - 1:30. Lunch

1:30 - 2:30 Staller Center for the Arts

Beaten but not Defeated: Creationism After Kitzmiller
Eugenie C. Scott
National Center for Science Education

1:30 -2:15. Brian Alters, McGill University. But is it good pedagogy?

2:15 - 3:15. Kenneth R. Miller, Brown University. Fossils, genes, and mousetraps: the 21st century case for evolution.

3:15 - 3:30 Coffee Break

3:30 - 4:15. Lauri Lebo, local lead reporter. Beyond “he said, she said:” How to be fair when the debate isn’t balanced.

4:15 - 5:30 Panel discussion for the press with all speakers + Pepper Hamilton attorneys.

Public Outreach Lecture

7:30 - 9:00 pm. Eric Rothschild and Steve Harvey, Pepper Hamilton LLP. In defense of the first amendment: An Up-close look at the landmark “intelligent design” case of Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on June 8, 2006 1:31 PM (e)

I opted to not go this year, or you could bunk with me.

The official conference website is #1 when you google “evolution 2006”, which is what we in the trade all call it.

Posted by Gary Hurd on June 8, 2006 2:18 PM (e)

They still have not added you!!
Who created the “Of Pandas …” draft display? and so on and so on?

I don’t get it. (or I actaully do get it).

This is why I distrust all so-called “elites.” I always have and I always will.

Posted by wamba on June 8, 2006 3:28 PM (e)

Ha! They’ve added Eric Rothschild. Still waiting for Mike Argento, though.

Posted by Flint on June 8, 2006 9:45 PM (e)

While you’re there, don’t miss Letchworth Park. The gorge is very much worth seeing.

Posted by Genie on June 8, 2006 10:06 PM (e)

With six you get eggroll.

SSE had a hole in the program re: the presidential address (long story) and were kind enough to ask me to plug it. So I will also be on the menu at SSE, in case anyone there just can’t get enough of the Kitzmiller gang. Here’s the title and abstract:

1:30 - 2:30 Staller Center for the Arts

Beaten but not Defeated: Creationism After Kitzmiller
Eugenie C. Scott
National Center for Science Education

Creationists have had a number of setbacks recently, including most importantly, the Kitzmiller v Dover decision in Federal District Court, declaring that intelligent design is not science, but a form of creationism. Yet creationism is a highly resistent ideology, and not easily defeated. Since the Kitzmiller decision, NCSE has noted a number of attacks on evolution education, and we can speculate on where the movement will go in the wake of Kitzmiller.

Posted by Maximus on June 10, 2006 3:05 PM (e)

Beaten but not Defeated: Creationism After Kitzmiller

A people should know when they are conquered.

Posted by Nick (Matzke) on June 14, 2006 2:10 PM (e)

Thanks for several kind offers. I have found a place.

Much appreciated,