Nick Matzke posted Entry 2345 on June 7, 2006 03:08 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2340
Update: just see the newer post for the revised schedule. (Update: I have added the info on the keynote speakers for June 26, and we are going to try and get the event recorded.) Alrighty, who is coming to the 2006 meeting of the Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE), the Society of Systematic Biologists (SSB), and the American Society of Naturalists (ASN), aka SSE 2006, aka Evolution 2006 at SUNY Stony Brook?
Well, it looks like I am going (Note: I may need to bring a sleeping bag and crash on someone’s floor, housing looks fully booked – see my note and contact info) – because someone or other recently realized I ought to be there for this:
Monday, 26 June – Sessions.
Symposium title: Intelligent Design on Trial: Lessons from the Kitzmiller v. Dover creationism case.
Organizers: Robert T. Pennock, Michigan State University and Brian Alters, McGill University
List of Speakers
* Robert T. Pennock , Michigan State University, “The Ground Rules of Science”
* Barbara Forrest, Southeastern Louisiana University, “On Being a ‘Hybrid Expert’: Detailing the Intelligent Design ‘Wedge Strategy’ in Federal Court”
* John F. Haught, Georgetown University, ŸEvolution and Faith: “What is at Stake?”
* Brian Alters, McGill University, “But is it Good Pedagogy?”
* Brian Rehm, Kitzmiller Plaintiff & Current Dover School Board member, “From parent and teacher to plaintiff and director”
* Kenneth R. Miller, Brown University, “Fossils, Genes, and Mousetraps - The 21st Century Case for Evolution”
* Lauri Lebo, Lauri Lebo, Lead Local Reporter in Dover, “Beyond ‘He said, she said:’ How to be fair when the debate isn’t balanced.”
Format: Morning Session: 60 minute slots (45 minute talks / 15 min Q&A). Afternoon Session: (30 min, 60 min, 30 min talks, then 30 min joint Q&A). This will be a full day event.
Monday, June 26, 7:00-8:30 pm – SSE Education Committee Public Outreach Lecture
Speakers: Eric Rothschild & Steve Harvey, Pepper Hamilton LLP.
Title: “In Defense of the First Amendment: An Up-Close Look at the Landmark ‘Intelligent Design’ Case of Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District”
In other words, we’re getting the band back together!
Commenters are responsible for the content of comments. The opinions expressed in articles, linked materials, and comments are not necessarily those of PandasThumb.org. See our full disclaimer.