PvM posted Entry 2333 on June 1, 2006 12:30 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2328

Lawyer who helped win Dover case dies

Joseph M. Farber was committed to civil liberties, an associate said.

Jun 1, 2006 — Joseph M. Farber, 34, of Narberth, who was a member of the team of lawyers who won a court decision barring the teaching of intelligent design, died of a brain tumor May 22 at home.

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on June 1, 2006 12:51 PM (e)

Support the American Brain Tumor Association and the National Brain Tumor Foundation.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by DragonScholar on June 1, 2006 1:33 PM (e)

A shame. I hope his family is doing well. And props to Bruce for posting the ABTA and NBTF links.

Anyone want to place bets on the chance that some religious right types will say this is God’s punishment?

Posted by Carol Clouser on June 1, 2006 3:31 PM (e)

As any good Jew is supposed to say upon hearing the news of a human being’s death, I declare:

The Lord has given, the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the true judge.

Also, to his family and loved ones:

May you be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Posted by apollo230 on June 1, 2006 6:20 PM (e)

Rich, this is an in-appropriate time to bring up an off-topic subject. We are honoring the dead here.

My sincere condolences to Mr. Farber’s loved ones, and best of luck to him in the next world.

Posted by Frank J on June 1, 2006 6:30 PM (e)

Very sad news. My prayers are with his family. And I’d say the same even if he was on the team that defended the pseudoscience.

Hear that, Pat Robertson?

Posted by Aureola Nominee, FCD on June 1, 2006 9:48 PM (e)

Rich’s comment, which bordered on baiting, was rightly removed. Will a moderator please do the same for the outright insulting post by “beelzebub”?

My condolences to Mr. Farber’s family and friends.

Posted by Gary Hurd on June 1, 2006 10:01 PM (e)

This serves as a reminder that many people contributed to the Panda Trial that did not see their names in headlines. It is also a reminder that Hank Williams was correct when he sang, “Nobody gets out of this world alive.”

Bonus cut “Only the good die young,” “fade to black.”

Best wishes to his wife and children. Few Americans will ever understand the debt they owe to Joseph M. Farber.

Posted by steve s on June 1, 2006 10:07 PM (e)

Joe Farber, this glass of Yuengling is in your honor, buddy.

*clink*

Posted by Doc Bill on June 1, 2006 10:11 PM (e)

As a father of a daughter who survived a brain tumor, and as a long time contributor to the American Brain
Tumor Association, I say best wishes, departed friend.

Posted by Rich on June 1, 2006 10:55 PM (e)

I am thankful for the work he did for the betterment of man and freedom of thought. I hope the theistic condolences are genuine and not designed to make some other point. Apologies to any who felt offense – you are correct we should honour the man and his memory. I will give the resident troll the benefit of the doubt.

Rich

Posted by k.e. on June 2, 2006 7:26 AM (e)

There but for the grace of god go I.
raAmen

And I’m an atheist.

Posted by DragonScholar on June 2, 2006 10:05 AM (e)

Reading the responses, it reminds me that there are so many people working against ignorance that it’s easy to forget them. It’s easy to forget the contributions that one person can make - including ourselves.

Posted by Julie Stahlhut on June 2, 2006 12:39 PM (e)

I’m sorry to hear of Joseph Farber’s death. Undoubtedly he worked on the case even during his illness. We won’t forget his dedication.

Posted by Tara on June 2, 2006 1:16 PM (e)

My condolences to his family.

Posted by science nut on June 2, 2006 3:37 PM (e)

Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
John Donne

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by Sean Kerr on June 2, 2006 8:02 PM (e)

I was Joe’s room mate in college for a number of years when he was a philosophy major. We’d stay up many late nights debating matters such as evolution and religion. It’s nice to know he was able to work on a case that I know he believed in. He was a great guy and his life too short.

Posted by bill Farrell on June 2, 2006 9:59 PM (e)

All lives are too short.

I am grateful for every day my daughter lives.

Posted by Wayne Francis on June 3, 2006 5:24 AM (e)

A tragedy when life is cut short. Let this be a time to celebrate his life, a life that has truly and deeply touched many lives. Not only of those that knew him personally but many more that may never even know his name but will benefit from his life achievements.

Condolences to Mr Farbers’s love ones and friends. My heart is with you.

Posted by Mobley on June 4, 2006 1:17 AM (e)

This is very sad news. My prayers are with his family.

Posted by Jess on June 4, 2006 11:20 AM (e)

I read about this in passing, but I didn’t realize he was so unbelievably young. I’m sure it’s cold comfort to his family, but as tragic as it is to die at 34, it’s equally impressive to have made such an important contribution to justice and science by that age.

I almost hope some right-winger says it’s God’s punishment, or denigrates his mental faculties based on the fact that he had a brain tumor. It would make it impossible to ignore the fact that they’re scumbags.

Posted by The Beast Whose Number is 666 on June 5, 2006 7:09 AM (e)

The cries of the tormented in the depths of hell just got louder by one voice.

Posted by Aureola Nominee, FCD on June 5, 2006 8:06 AM (e)

The first time “beelzebub” spewed its venom, its post was simply removed.

Now I suggest banning it altogether.

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on June 5, 2006 11:41 PM (e)

The first time “beelzebub” spewed its venom, its post was simply removed.

Now I suggest banning it altogether.

Leave it as a reminder of the ignorance and intolerance that science faces and Joseph Farber’s role in defending science in the classroom.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Dean Morrison on June 7, 2006 8:43 AM (e)

Tragic that Mr Farber died so young - lets hope that his family can take a little solace in the fact that he was able to help to achieve something so significant in his short life.

Aren’t these so-called Christians being rather presumptious in their willingness to substitute ‘Gods judgement’ with there own? I’m sure there is a special little place in (their own) hell reserved especially for their type.

Anyway - why spend time talk about nobodies when we should be mourning a young man of real achievement?

Posted by Deb Kerr on June 7, 2006 8:09 PM (e)

Joe was one of the finest people I have ever known. He was a kind, caring person who always kept an open mind towards others, even if his opinion was different from theirs. Joe was a person of the utmost integrity. He had a sharp mind and a terrific sense of humor too. It is unthinkable that someone who would call themselves a Christian would pass such judgement upon someone that they haven’t ever met or known. If anyone truly follows the example of Jesus, they wouldn’t do that. “Judge not lest you also be judged.” Knowing Joe certainly has changed me as a person, and I am truly grateful for who he was. I know so many who feel the same way.
I pray that his family will be ok. I am glad he isn’t suffering anymore. Life is short, be glad for each day we are given.

Posted by Carol Hagan on June 19, 2006 10:01 PM (e)

Joe was my husband, I came across your comments while searching for something else online. I have printed them out and put them with other cards and letters for my sons to read one day. I appreciate your kind words.