Nick Matzke posted Entry 2235 on April 25, 2006 01:13 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/2230

This should have happened last week, but longtime PT contributor and author of the much-beloved “The Quixotic Message”, or “No Free Hunch”, and also the equally beloved Quixotic References, formerly known as theyeti, and catcher of broadheaded skinks and legless glass lizards, mild critic of hydrogen as an alternative fuel, HAS SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED HIS PHD!!! (although he somehow lost his original post announcing this). He somehow managed to do this while writing all of these great PT posts, including classics like Phillip Johnson’s Bold Stand and Phillip Johnson’s Bold Stand, Redux.

More importantly, Steve can now finally achieve his true reason for getting a PhD, which was to join the list of Project Steve Steves.

I don’t actually know what Reuland’s PhD was about, something biomedical I think, but for now I think I will assume it had something to do with getting Sunbeams From Cucumbers.

Posted by Julie Stahlhut on April 25, 2006 5:57 AM (e)

Woo-hoo! Many congrats, Steve!

Posted by Rilke's Granddaughter on April 25, 2006 6:26 AM (e)

Congratulations! Bene, bene! Ave (I’ve got this coming up myself and I’m scared to death).

Posted by wamba on April 25, 2006 7:29 AM (e)

Congratulations.

I myself convinced someone to sign up for Project Steve last Darwin Day, so I now consider myself to be a ‘Steve by proxy’.

“Broadheaded skink” - I’m going to use that in my next argument.

Posted by Zeno on April 25, 2006 7:31 AM (e)

Congratulations, congratulations! Don’t forget that having a Ph.D. now makes you an expert on everything! Yes, that’s right. Everything!

And enjoy being able to draw a deep breath and relax a bit for the first time in years.

Posted by Julie Stahlhut on April 25, 2006 7:46 AM (e)

Rilke’s Granddaughter wrote:

I’ve got this coming up myself and I’m scared to death.

The best way to deal with a dissertation defense is to enjoy every moment of it. (My own was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life.)

Posted by bigdumbchimp on April 25, 2006 7:49 AM (e)

Congrats. Nice to see some of than learnin’ down here in South Kackalacky.

Posted by Jim Wynne on April 25, 2006 8:48 AM (e)

Congratulations to the newest Dr. Steve! I can hear the creationists now: What was so wrong with his dissertation that he had to defend it?

Posted by Steve Reuland on April 25, 2006 8:58 AM (e)

Thanks Nick, and everyone.

Rilke’s Granddaughter: Don’t feel bad, I was scared too. Of course I had no reason to be, since I am an expert on everything, but you can’t help but be nervous.

Posted by GvlGeologist, FCD on April 25, 2006 9:00 AM (e)

Congratulations! As we say here at the Univ. of Florida, you’re “Phinally Done”.

Posted by Dan Hocson on April 25, 2006 9:21 AM (e)

Congratulations, Steve!

Now you can start on PhD #2! :)

Posted by Anton Mates on April 25, 2006 9:49 AM (e)

Congratulations. Time to declare that, as a Ph.D., you find it obvious that evolutionary theory is wrong. Then you can start raking in the bucks!

Posted by Bruce Thoompson GQ on April 25, 2006 9:59 AM (e)

Congratulations. Now in your next act a transitional form, the post doc.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Bob O'H on April 25, 2006 11:09 AM (e)

Congratulations! Welcome to the Piled High and Deep club!

Bob
P.S. Rilke’s Granddaughter: the worst part about a defence should be the hangover the following day.

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on April 25, 2006 12:02 PM (e)

That requires a PhD in engineering not one of the biological sciences.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on April 25, 2006 12:08 PM (e)

Out of curiosity, does every new Dr. Steve receive a congratulatory letter from Professor Steve Steve with an autographed 8 x 10 glossy suitable for framing?

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Anton Mates on April 25, 2006 12:17 PM (e)

Bruce Thompson GQ wrote:

That requires a PhD in engineering not one of the biological sciences.

Nah, it takes a biological PhD, but only a Bachelor’s in engineering.

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on April 25, 2006 12:37 PM (e)

Anton Mates corrected Bruce with: Nah, it takes a biological PhD, but only a Bachelor’s in engineering.

You’re correct, a Bachelors degree to criticize but a PhD to sign the list.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Jim on April 25, 2006 12:49 PM (e)

Interesting post

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on April 25, 2006 1:33 PM (e)

Did you interpret my statement as implying that a bachelors in engineering did not qualify people from the ability to critique evolutionary arguments? Well reasoned arguments based on the literature can be made by anyone. I’m aware of the large number of engineers that participate on this list. The enigineer-poet is a member of Delta Pi Gamma and it was not my intent open that can of worms.

Delta Pi Gamma (Scientia et Fermentum)

Posted by Jim Baerg on April 25, 2006 2:59 PM (e)

“Congradulations”

Also I read the criticism of the hydrogen economy, & while I agree to a large extent, I think hydrogen can have a useful role to play in future energy systems.

However, I note that in the late 19th & early 20th centuries a mix of H2 & CO was generated by reacting steam with coal & was piped around towns for such uses as gas stoves. So, if we build a lot of nuclear, wind & solar electricity generation to replace fossil fuel generators, there will often be a mismatch between electricity supply & demand & we can electrolyze water with off-peak power, with the resulting H2 burned wherever heat is needed.

Posted by David Gehrig on April 25, 2006 7:37 PM (e)

Mazel tov. The world needs more Dr. Steves.

Posted by Henry J on April 25, 2006 9:31 PM (e)

Re “Hydrogen is impractical as a transportation fuel unless & until some way of compactly & conveniently storing hydrogen is developed so a reasonable sized fuel tank will take a car several hundred km.”

There’s been some progress in that direction recently.
Progress in Quest to Use Hydrogen as Fuel for Cars and Electronic Devices

Henry

Posted by wamba on April 26, 2006 8:32 AM (e)

Meanwhile, Brad Pitt has endorsed Intelligent Design, sort of.

Hey, since when do the environmental reporters snag all the sexy interviews? Our colleague Juliet Eilperin had a little phone conversation yesterday with – yes, really! – Brad Pitt, about enviro-friendly efforts to rebuild New Orleans. The movie star, a longtime architecture buff, is helping nonprofit Global Green sponsor a design contest for energy-efficient and affordable homes and community centers.

Our ultimate goal is to advance the ideas of intelligent design, the idea of living and building in a more healthy manner,” Pitt told Eilperin from Namibia, where tabloid-watchers know he’s been visiting for a while. “Our second goal is to find a positive outcome of this catastrophe in New Orleans.”

Right now you’re thinking: What about Angelina? Baby’s due any day now, right? Well, there were strict limits on the terms of this interview – “no personal questions.” But Eilperin pleaded with a publicist for permission to broach this intimate matter: What does he think about his frat brother – The Post’s James Grimaldi , of the U-Missouri Sigma Chi house circa 1984 – winning the Pulitzer along with Sue Schmidt and Jeff Smith for exposing the Jack Abramoff scandal?

“You’re kidding!” Pitt exclaimed. “That’s very, very exciting. I’m going to look those articles up right away.”

Posted by Tyrannosaurus on April 26, 2006 12:48 PM (e)

Congratulations to the new Dr. Steve, OH WISE ONE. I hope you had a pen ready to sign in the Project Steve as soon as the committee anointed you as a PH.D.
Rilke’s Granddaughter, the defense is not that bad after all. They just want to see you sweating a little bit just for good old times sake :)
If they let you reach this stage is b/c they have confidence in you.

Posted by RBH on April 26, 2006 1:09 PM (e)

Added congrats, Steve. Just remember that as a “Steve” you represent 100 genuine scientists when you join Project Steve. Bear the burden proudly!

Tyrannosaurus wrote

Hm. My supervisor opened my defense by saying, “We’ll let Ray (math/stats guy) ask the first question, then we’ll resuscitate RBH and the rest of us will have a turn.” But actually, the second guy (neuro) was worse. The rest was jam, I think; my memory of the last three is blurry due to the brain strain induced by the first two.

Posted by Glenn Branch on May 1, 2006 11:24 AM (e)

Dr. Reuland is Steve #740. (“But who’s counting?”)

Posted by Betsy Markum on May 17, 2006 6:28 PM (e)

I can’t believe it, my co-worker just bought a car for $15337. Isn’t that crazy!

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on May 17, 2006 7:07 PM (e)

This is weird. Are someone’s little e-mails ending up in the PT comments or something? I’ve seen a bunch of these amazing non-sequitors popping up in old threads lately.