PZ Myers posted Entry 1945 on January 26, 2006 08:43 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/1940

spineless_badge.jpg

This coming week will be a great one for science carnivals. First up is the Circus of the Spineless which will appear on Pharyngula on Sunday—if you’ve written anything about invertebrates in the past month, send the link to pzmyers@pharyngula.org by Saturday evening.

The Tangled Bank

The second big event is the next edition of the Tangled Bank, scheduled for Wednesday, 1 February, at Adventures in Ethics and Science. Send links to any science writing to dr.freeride@gmail.com, pzmyers@pharyngula.org, or host@tangledbank.net by next Tuesday.

Hey…and if you written something about the science of invertebrates, send the link to both!

One last thing…the schedule of future Tangled Bank hosts has been updated with an influx of new volunteers. We’ve got stuff lined up through July; check the list below if you volunteered to see when your turn is coming up. And if you aren’t there and you want to be, send a note to pzmyers@pharyngula.org and I’ll add you to the list.

1 Feb 2006 Adventures in Ethics and Science
15 Feb 2006 Kete Were
1 Mar 2006 Aetiology
15 Mar 2006 Living the Scientific Life
29 Mar 2006 The Island of Doubt
12 Apr 2006 Discovering biology in a digital world
26 Apr 2006 The Inoculated Mind
10 May 2006 Science Notes
24 May 2006 Science and Politics
7 Jun 2006 Get Busy Livin’, or Get Busy Bloggin’
21 Jun 2006 Centrerion
5 Jul 2006 Information Overload

Posted by steve s on January 26, 2006 11:59 AM (e)

That’s weird. On some PT threads I’m getting a comment box, but on others, people are commenting, yet I’m not getting the box.

For instance here I see the box, but on “How can you tell it isn’t science?” I don’t.

Any one else getting this?

Posted by SteveF on January 26, 2006 12:23 PM (e)

The comments box is appearing just after the article for me. Here and on other posts.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on January 26, 2006 12:26 PM (e)

We’re changing to format of these pages. The new format will appear when pages are rebuilt.

Posted by Engineer-Poet on January 26, 2006 6:46 PM (e)

Pardon me for expressing taste, but putting the comment box at the TOP of an extremely long discussion when one is responding to things at the bottom is counter-intuitive and feels “just wrong”.

Posted by Marek 14 on January 27, 2006 4:07 AM (e)

Not mentioning that with very long threads, the presence of comment box was always evidence to me that, yes, the page did really load completely. Now I can’t be sure.

How about putting two comment boxes, one at the beginning, and one at the end?

Posted by Henry J on January 27, 2006 4:15 PM (e)

Re “putting the comment box at the TOP of an extremely long discussion when one is responding to things at the bottom is counter-intuitive”

I’ll second that!

Re “ the presence of comment box was always evidence to me that, yes, the page did really load completely.

I’ll second that too!

Henry

Posted by Henry J on January 27, 2006 4:32 PM (e)

Another thought - having the post-comment box at the bottom lets one immediately see if comments are still allowed on that thread, just by hitting the “end” key.

Henry

Posted by Henry J on January 27, 2006 7:31 PM (e)

Still another thought - why put the “Commenters are responsible […]” box on threads that don’t allow comments? ;)

Posted by Henry J on January 30, 2006 11:40 AM (e)

Otoh, the new format makes it easier to go straight to the latest post in the thread, just by hitting the “end” button.

Henry