Prof. Steve Steve posted Entry 1532 on October 10, 2005 10:24 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/1527

I am at Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School Board supporting the plaintiffs with my unique expertise. As the holder of the B. Amboo Chair in Creatoinformatics at the University of Ediacara, I was invited to attend an “evolution is stupid” seminar at Dover Fire Station 6. The seminar was mainly an infomercial for Mr. Kent Hovind’s DVDs.

The lone bright spot was that I was able to meet Matthew Chapman, the great-great-great-great-grandson of my idol, Josiah Wedgewood. (Oh, yeah–I almost forgot–he is also related to Charles Darwin.)

I ended up chatting with Chapman, my good buddy Burt Humburg, and some reporters, but they didn’t allow me to say much.

Matthew Chapman and Prof. Steve Steve

Update: USA Today managed to identify my colleague, Dr. Patricia Princehouse, but they seem to have forgotten my name, referring to me only as “a panda puppet.” What is journalism coming to these days?

Posted by Dave S. on September 30, 2005 4:39 PM (e)

Prof. Steve,

I can’t help but notice that you seem to be mounted on a stick of some sort.

Back problems?

Posted by Bob Davis on September 30, 2005 4:45 PM (e)

That Matthew Chapman sure is a handsome fellow, in a heterosexual sort of way, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Also, the York Daily is doing good work in covering the trial.

(meanwhile, a modest experiment in evolution and ID science starts Oct. 1)

Posted by MP on September 30, 2005 7:35 PM (e)

ewwwwwwww,….Kent Hovind…ewwwwwww. Interesting to see a descendant of Darwin at the trial though. That would be a fascinating perspective.

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on September 30, 2005 7:39 PM (e)

Steve Steve, is that really Patricia Princehouse hiding behind you?

Posted by Bruce Thompson GQ on September 30, 2005 7:56 PM (e)

Any chance of photos of Professor Steve Steve with the various attorneys, maybe the judge, and of course the plaintiffs and defendants? Photos of the Professor interspersed among the posts during the trial would provide some additional comic relief.

Posted by Emma P. on September 30, 2005 8:23 PM (e)

Minor correction: Wedgwood not Wedgewood (no second ‘e’)

Posted by Pierce R. Butler on October 1, 2005 2:02 PM (e)

Betcha won’t find any of the pro-Bible partisans in Dover wearing a black leather jacket…

(or even a stylish black-&-white fur coat!)

Posted by DarthWilliam on October 3, 2005 9:23 AM (e)

As a volunteer firefighter, I am disapointed that this nonsense occurred at a fire station. What were they thinking? We are supposed to provide a public service, not a dis-service!

…darth

Posted by DarthWilliam on October 3, 2005 9:23 AM (e)

…darth

Posted by Marine Geologist on October 3, 2005 1:14 PM (e)

“You were brainwashed in college. What are you people afraid of?” asked Dover Township resident Joan McCrory.

You were brainwashed in Sunday school, and I know what you’re afraid of!!

Posted by RBH on October 10, 2005 3:14 PM (e)

DarthWilliam wrote

As another volunteer firefighter, I second the sentiment. The rule in our house (that’s “fire station” to civilians) is “no religion, no politics”, the latter prohibition being a departure from the early history of volunteer departments. It appears the Dover department hasn’t shaken off that history yet.

RBH

Posted by Greg Peterson on October 10, 2005 4:12 PM (e)

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve seen since “Wedding Crashers.” Dang. Makes me all the more proud that I sprung for my Prof. Steve Steve T-shirt. Thanks for bringing a little levity to the “event”–I doubt much is being provided by the defendants in this case.

Posted by geogeek on October 10, 2005 5:30 PM (e)

There’s a T-shirt? Where do I get one?
p.s. I just got “interviewed” on “Should intelligent design be taught in science classes?” in my community college (student reporter sent me the question over e-mail). I look forward to an eruption in the classroom when the next issue of the paper comes out.

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on October 10, 2005 6:52 PM (e)

The Prof. Steve Steve Peril In Berkeley design is available on mugs and T-shirts.

Posted by Steviepinhead on October 10, 2005 7:01 PM (e)

With all the chewing, wrangling, and brainstorming we here do over the question of how to “win” the legal, political, and scientific sides of this debate without losing the cultural/popular/religious side of it, we tend to forget that a cute and cuddly mascot can go a long way to “sell” a challenging bundle of concepts.

Yay for Prof. Steve Steve! May his T-shirts wave on and fly high!

Posted by Jack Krebs on October 10, 2005 8:51 PM (e)

I believe Prof. Steve Steve should write USA Today and ask for a correction - “panda puppet” my ….! Among other things, they probably don’t know about Steve’s relationship with the Panda’s Thumb (thinking perhaps he is associated with that atrocious book which sullies our good name.) Setting the record straight about his identity, credentials and associates would certainly be good.

Posted by KiwiInOz on October 10, 2005 10:16 PM (e)

My impression was that Prof Steve Steve was an independent sort of panda - i.e. nobody’s puppet.

Posted by Steve S on October 10, 2005 10:21 PM (e)

hahaha yeah, the op ed could be titled “Panda Puppet My Black (and White) Ass!”

Posted by Jim Lippard on October 10, 2005 10:46 PM (e)

“Interesting to see a descendant of Darwin at the trial though. That would be a fascinating perspective.”

MP: You might be interested in reading Matthew Chapman’s book, _Trials of the Monkey: An Accidental Memoir_.