Prof. Steve Steve posted Entry 1498 on September 21, 2005 10:27 AM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/1494

I Arrive in New Mexico

I arrived in New Mexico last week, having been called on by concerned citizens of that state to look into “Intelligent Design” encroachment into public school science classes. I was immediately greeted by one of the local residents. Fortunately, I am well versed in many things, including Great Dane Standard Greeting Protocol (GDSGP) in which one always sniffs the right sides of noses. To sniff the left sides can cause one to have a very bad day.

bigdog.jpg

I Check Out Kim’s Digs

I decided to spend a few days with Kim Johnson before moving on to Dave Thomas’s house the next week. I wished to stay in Kim’s place on the recommendations of couple of other well known people who have stayed with him while in Albuquerque - Barbara Forrest and Molleen Matsumura - who were both well chaperoned, as is proper, of course!

I was also introduced to someone a wee bit closer to my size. In fact, I found that I was much more comfortable sniffing noses at the same level. I am really not into the more standard dog greeting protocol (use your imagination).

lildog.jpg

After greeting the various canines, Kim took me on a tour of the house. The tour came to an abrupt end when I came across the single malt scotch cabinet. I have been a single malt connoisseur at the highest level. I have even consulted for a number of breweries in Scotland when they were having difficulties with the malts. While I tried earnestly to conceal my intense interest, I was unable to do so, and was soon cordially invited to partake of the scotches in the collection. Unfortunately, they were out of my favorite 30 year old Laphroaig. But, I did enjoy a 21 year old Highland scotch and a marvelous 15 year old Laphroaig. My favorites are the Islay scotches, but I thought that the Glen Garioch was extremely smooth with a hint of spice and a touch of honey as I rolled it over the tip, sides, and back of my tongue. I enjoyed this thoroughly, as you can see. It has been said that I have one of the best palates along with one of the best capacities that anyone has ever seen. I am also a marvelous wine taster, but I’m sure you are all aware of that, and one shouldn’t brag. Incidentally, by the time the camera came out, Courtney Kangaroo was literally under the table. She was quite pale and non-communicative the next day.

heaven.jpg

A Sticky Situation

In a very rare occurrence, I decided that discretion could, indeed, be the better part of valor. A Navajo friend of Kim’s (Pauletta) stopped by, and I thought it might be a good time to engage a Native American concerning the creation of life forms on earth - something I have never done, before, believe it or not! I had heard of the Navajo Waking Woman, the creator, and was fascinated with the concept as a creation myth. However, when I mentioned that I was against teaching creation mythologies in science classes, I found that passions arose quickly. Although I tried to explain the new synthesis to straighten her out, she did not want to hear about no “stinkin’ evolution,” because she already knew what the answer was. I’m sure you all know how persistent I can be. I continued to insist that the scientific conclusion was the only valid way to look at this, and was suddenly in a bit over my head, as you can see. Fortunately, I was able to exercise charm and wit by saying “Just kidding” to get her to back off. After all, when I puts my mind to it, I can be quite cute. Females do seem to be attracted to me.

navajo.jpg

After my heart slowed down to a mere race, I concluded two things: 1) some people will never change their beliefs, and it is wise to be able to tell when that is the case! 2) In “mano-a-mano” clashes over science (I’m learning some Spanish, too!), the person with the biggest knife will usually win the argument every single time! I believe that we should enlist the aid of Native Americans like Pauletta whenever possible. Not because of the knives, but because anytime a person wants to “teach the controversy,” they need to teach ALL the controversies. I suggested to Kim that he try to recruit Pauletta and her Navajo friends to help in our cause - but to please wait until after I left! Fascinating.

Dressage Day

Next day, I visited with Kim’s horses. At one time, many years ago, I was a world class dressage rider. One of the horses is named Satan (no relation) and happens to be a retired dressage horse. It’s too bad that the accompanying pictures are stills, and not in motion. I rode Satan bare back, and with just leg cues and weight shifts was able to get him to side step, do flying lead changes, etc. It is not so remarkable that this was done with leg cues and weight shifts, since that’s the way it is supposed to be done, but considering the length of the my legs and my light weight, well - I’m sure you all get the picture! I later sat on Satan’s head while Jesse, Satan, and I relived the ride. Marvelous! Here, Jesse, Satan and I have a laugh over the just finished dressage ride in which I excelled. Jesse vaults off (gymnastics) horses and understands a good “seat.” We really hit it off.

satan.jpg

I Become a Lifetime Honorary Member of CESE

Kim presented me with a lifetime membership for the New Mexico Coalition for Excellence in Science and Math Education (CESE). In the picture, you can see me receiving a CESE pin. I am very tough skinned, and shall wear this with pride. I thanked CESE profusely for fighting the good fight against pseudoscience, and wished them luck with fighting the ongoing latest attempt at the sneaky underhandedness of the Intelligent Design Network of New Mexico, which is trying to introduce “Evidence Against Evolution” into the science classroom in the Rio Rancho school district. Kim thanked me profusely for all I had taught CESE. Here, Courtney Kangaroo looks on jealously as Kim Johnson “Pins” me with the Lifetime CESE Membership pin.

cesepin.jpg

A Visit to NMSR (New Mexican for Science and Reason)

Since NMSR has been active in promoting good science and fighting bad science, I took the opportunity to attend their monthly meeting. (Members from NMSR formed the core group of CESE.) Every month, a speaker is invited. The topics are far-ranging. This month was special. I got to meet someone who is a bit famous on his own accord – Professor MacAllister (Mac) Hull. Mac and I were on a first name basis immediately. Mac was the person in charge of creating the first explosive lenses used in plutonium fission devices - yes, the first atomic bomb that was detonated in New Mexico, and another one, “Fat Man,” dropped on Nagasaki, Japan. Mac had not even been to college when he was drafted to work in Los Alamos. His job was to find out how to cast the explosive lenses so that they were essentially flawless. Obviously he did this. His initials were on every one of the 32 lenses on the plutonium bombs that were used. After the war, Mac went on to receive a PhD from Yale in physics. He had many interesting stories to tell, and he discussed with me his feelings concerning his involvement with the Manhattan Project. This was not easy on anyone involved, and I came away with a much deeper appreciation of the moral issues and complexity of feelings and resolution that each individual participant has had to live with over all these years. I won’t discuss Mac, personally, but will say that I admire him tremendously for what he took away from this project as a young man (21 years old). He went on to do many fine things. He is living history (and has a sense of humor to match mine - almost!). In this photo, Mac and I are trying to explain some of the finer nuances of particle physics to some of the audience members.

physics.jpg

Here is Mac and me, sharing a joke. Kim pretends to understand.

macsjoke.jpg

The NMSR Science Watch Radio Show

The next day was time for the NMSR Radio Show, “Science Watch,” in which Dave Thomas and Kim Johnson co-host a fun half hour where they talk about interesting science discoveries, news media blunders, what’s happening in science, and a segment called “Creation Corner.” The show is on Saturdays, right after the news at 2:00 PM. KABQ 1350 AM is the station – and what a blast radio is! After being used to speaking to hundreds, even thousands of people in a live audience, I found that hosting a radio show is relatively easy and is fun. Our major topic was Scientology, although for the life of me, I cannot begin to understand how ‘scient’ or ‘ology’ have anything to do with the science fiction created by L. Ron Hubbard to get rich from. Still, there are many people who pay exorbitant amounts of money just to be taken for a pure ride in fantasy. Of course, the real problem is that people can be harmed. We discussed this in light of the Tom Cruise remarks on TV about psychiatry being hokey, or words to that effect. I provided a full history and all the secrets I knew about Scient Ology. People often spend millions of dollars for these “secrets” - especially movie stars, it seems! Let us hope that there were no people who actually took Tom Cruise seriously, but I am wise enough to know that this is a hope without basis. There are always people who take others seriously, just because the others have the stage. An interesting, but really bad phenomenon, not unrelated to ID creationism!

Here is Dave Thomas, making a few last minute notes for the show. (I, of course, didn’t require any notes.)

radio_1.jpg

Here is our engineer, Jenny O, laughing at herself for not figuring out one of the nuances of operating the “board.” I explained to her that I had learned it only after being around control boards for a long time and that she shouldn’t feel bad. After all, I am expert at all I participate in.

radio_2.jpg

Kim gave me an outline script, but I didn’t need it. Here I am sitting on the script and having a ball ad libbing to the radio audience. The feedback on my performance was, of course, outstanding. People in New Mexico are very appreciative of quality programming.

radio_3.jpg

The Rio Rancho Board Meeting

We were having so much fun, we almost forgot to attend the Rio Rancho School Board meeting to see about their new “Science Policy 401.” Dave Thomas has blogged about this previously on the Thumb, here, here, and here.

Although I tried to address the board about what I think is a very flawed policy, I was not allowed to speak. They said it was because I wasn’t a resident of Rio Rancho, but I think they may just be prejudiced against Ailuropoda melanoleuca like myself. Here is a photo showing Jesse Johnson and me trying to talk some sense into school board member Don Schlichte, who is a pastor at a local church at his day job. I recognized him immediately, having brushed up on local creationists prior to my visit.

schlichte.jpg

After the meeting, Courtney Kangaroo and I had it out on top of Schlichte’s desk. Ater just a few minutes of her same old broken record, I couldn’t take any more, and quickly left to prepare for some field work in the strange land called De-Na-Zin, way up in Navajo country. There, I am told, we will find compelling disproofs of creationist geology. You won’t want to miss that adventure!

debate.jpg

I’m off to rest for a few days. It’s been quite stressful, jetting back and forth between Australia and America. I wish these creationists would only attack one continent at a time!

I must thank Kim Johnson, and his extended family, for an excellent visit. I especially enjoyed munching on some fresh bamboo growing by the river behind Kim’s house. One must keep his thumb in the game, after all.

Posted by Bayesian Bouffant, FCD on September 21, 2005 10:40 AM (e)

What is Courtney slipping into Don Schlichte’s water caraffe?

Posted by Geral Corasjo on September 21, 2005 11:18 AM (e)

[img]http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/stevesteve/new_mexico/heaven.jpg[/img]

That picture. Is awesome.

Posted by Rilke's Granddaughter on September 21, 2005 12:27 PM (e)

Unless that first picture is reversed, Dr. Steve Steve is clearly sniffing the left side of the Great Dane’s nose. Should we worry that the various injuries that Dr. Steve Steve sustained are not shown in subsequent photos?

Posted by Steve Reuland on September 21, 2005 2:40 PM (e)

Syntax Error: mismatched tag 'blockquote'

Posted by Steve Reuland on September 21, 2005 2:46 PM (e)

I don’t know about Great Danes specifically, but with most dogs, the “sniff” greeting is altogether different.

Posted by Steviepinhead on September 21, 2005 2:50 PM (e)

Steve, I’m pretty sure that’s what Steve Steve was alluding to when he said (a paragraph or so later):

Posted by Kim Johnson on September 21, 2005 3:26 PM (e)

Ooops. It looks like there was a Photoshop induced chirality reversal on the Great Dane greeting picture. The good Professor does, I assure you, know his left from his right. In fact, it was my experience that there is little that he doesn’t know!

Posted by Henry J on September 21, 2005 4:47 PM (e)

Maybe it’s the dog rather than the small fuzzy eater of bamboo what doesn’t know left from right? :)

Henry

Posted by folderol on September 21, 2005 5:17 PM (e)

“At one time, many years ago, I was a world class dressage rider.”

Herr Bereiter Stephan Stephan:

Should you ever pass through Missouri, please accept my invitation to ride my dressage horses. I won’t put you on the 18-hand horse – at least not to begin with!

Karen from the Show Me State

Posted by Steve Reuland on September 21, 2005 8:22 PM (e)

Yeah, I guess it helps to read the whole thing before posting. Oh well. :o

Posted by Web on September 21, 2005 9:37 PM (e)

Syntax Error: mismatched tag 'kwickxml'

Posted by Web on September 21, 2005 9:40 PM (e)

Bummer. screwed up. I’ll try again..

Two words - Glen and Breton. Okay that’s three words, but I don’t really count the -and-. Good Canadian single malt. Cheers!

- Web
(back to lurking, reading and wondering when aerodynamics will get the ID treatment….)

Posted by Chris Hall on September 22, 2005 4:39 AM (e)

Ahem Prof, whiskies come from distilleries not breweries

Posted by Norman Doering on September 22, 2005 5:28 AM (e)

Why does this remind me of garden gnomes and travel commercials?

Posted by Kim Johnson on September 22, 2005 1:36 PM (e)

Well, while it is true that most people in America and Scotland and England use the term distillery, it is also true that the term brewery means a place where malt liquor is produced - according to Webster. I suspect there may be a simple language usage difference, here. Perhaps Autralia vs US english? You’ll have to ask the Professor. But, he is technically correct.

Posted by Jim Wynne on September 22, 2005 2:29 PM (e)

Kim Johnson wrote:

Malt liquor is a type of beer, not a type of whiskey (or whisky): http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmalt.html

Posted by Kim Johnson on September 22, 2005 3:18 PM (e)

Sigh. One must always check multiple sources. The best sources when discussing scotch, of course, come from the British Isles. Yes - in the US, Malt Liquor is generally used to mean a type of beer made with a malt. But, scotch doesn’t come from the US! Generically, a malted liquor is any liquor that is made from malt. In Scotland, the process starts with the malting of barley then the fermenting (brewing). After it is brewed, it is distilled and aged. The brewing occurs in the brewery portion of the distillery. Please check out http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/glossary.html for definitions a bit closer to the source. Brewery is not inappropriate, but rather not common usage in the US, etc., when talking about where scotch comes from. Again, you’ll have to ask the Professor directly about this, although I seriously doubt if he will reply. It could have been a simple slip of the thumb. After all, he did have a few beers while staying in NM, too!

Posted by robert on September 22, 2005 3:22 PM (e)

What a moronic thread!

Posted by Steviepinhead on September 22, 2005 3:51 PM (e)

Robert:

I’m reasonably sure that you didn’t really expect either serious science or serious issue-oriented commentary on this latest in the series of threads starring PT’s cute little stuffed toy mascot. So what’s your point exactly?

I will note that we’ve learned something about distilling practices and horse-jumping on this thread. Perhaps not directly related to evolution science, though distilling is related to fermentation (yeast is an important model organisms for biological research) and the evolution of horses provides one of the most familiar examples of a sequence of transitional fossils.

And without this thread, we would’ve missed Kim Johnson‘s “simple slip of the thumb” line, which was not only genuinely funny (heck, LPG, as long as you’re slinging pizzas, you oughta send one flying Kim’s way…), but was also a cute evolutionary pun!

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on September 22, 2005 5:36 PM (e)

What a moronic thread!

Like I’ve always said, IDers and creationuts are all seriously humor-challenged.

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on September 22, 2005 5:37 PM (e)

heck, LPG, as long as you’re slinging pizzas

Did someone mention “pizzas”?

I’m looking for a new pizza delivery person. My current one seems to think he’s infallible, or something.

Posted by Lenny's Pizza Guy on September 22, 2005 6:08 PM (e)

Whew! Close call, but now that Lenny’s off to do his daily tour of the threads, maybe he won’t check back here for a while (and by the time he does, I’ll be long gone again, heh heh–we’re gonna look like one of those old timey cartoons, you know the ones where you’re looking down a long door-lined hallway, watching while the characters keep missing each other as they run in and out of the different doorways…!)

And, if I’m really lucky, maybe Lenny will never notice that I gave FREE pizzas to Norman and James over on the WAD O’ Irony thread.

Of course, I’m sure you all see the problem: Lenny doesn’t much like it when he hears about other folks getting their pizza for free, while he’s been paying full price all these years.

Maybe if he upped my tips a little, I’d cut him the occassional break. But, hey, after that “infallible” crack, I’m not exactly inclined, know what I mean? Sheesh, “infallible,” that there’s just plain old creationist talk! I may just be a pizza guy, but I ain’t stoopid!

–translation for the constitutionally-challenged: [cue John Wayne drawl:] “Them’s fightin’ words, Sonny!”

I don’t really want to get on Lenny’s bad side (heck, he is a pretty regular customer, and we all know how dang persistent he can be once he gets riled up), but that “infallible” crack was kind of pushing the line, know what I mean?

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on September 22, 2005 6:28 PM (e)

Maybe if he upped my tips a little, I’d cut him the occassional break.

What, a nickel’s not enough for you?

;>

Posted by Kim Johnson on September 22, 2005 7:52 PM (e)

Before this thread degrades too much further, please note that Professor Steve Steve took part in a potentially very important experiment - a pro-evolution, pro-science radio show that we are trying to refine and get ready for prime time. And, another post is coming from the good Professor from NM. He had to take some time out to pop around to other commitments. I’m sure that there will be the normal humor that the Professor instills in all his posts - maybe even a slightly off topic side note. BUT, the next installment will have some really good technical stuff on evolution in it. Things that many who read this won’t have seen before, and things that will drive most of the creationists nutso. (Actulally, how do you drive somebody nutso when they already are?) Please stay tuned for the next installment from Professor Steve Steve in New Mexico. I think you will not be disappointed!

(And, Steviepinhead - thanks for noticing about the thumb pun, or play on words, if you will. A bit of levity is good for the soul.)

Posted by Jim Wynne on September 22, 2005 8:24 PM (e)

Kim:
Thanks for the condescending response. I know how to do research, thank you. I also know the difference between malt whisky and malt liquor, and the difference between a distillery and a brewery, and I knew these things without having to look them up. You still don’t understand, apparently, even after admonishing me to “check multiple sources.”

Posted by 'Rev Dr' Lenny Flank on September 23, 2005 6:28 AM (e)

Thanks for the condescending response. I know how to do research, thank you.

Dude, take a deep breath and relax. You’ll live lots longer. Geez.

Posted by Kim Johnson on September 23, 2005 3:24 PM (e)

Jim,

Please take my comments the way they were intended - not condescendingly. (Look at the context - levity.) This is a virtual pub at the University of Ediacara! It is certainly reasonable to talk about whisky. Especially since the Professor is so fond of it. I, too, know the difference between all the terms you mention. I have been a single malt fan for many years. It appears that you may be, too, since you spelled whisky as is appropriate for scotch, and not with an e as is appropriate for all other forms. It is difficult to address an apparent error from the Professor, since we know he doesn’t make errors. Do you get my drift? If you will lighten up a bit, I will even tell you what his favorite single malt is. I hesitated to do so earlier for fear that it might start a run on it worldwide, and I may not be able to buy any for some time.

Posted by shenda on September 23, 2005 4:31 PM (e)

Norman Doering
“Why does this remind me of garden gnomes and travel commercials?”

Yup, me too. Including the funny voice. Maybe Prof. Steve Steve is moonlighting for some extra bamboo.

Posted by WWFSMD? on September 28, 2005 1:59 AM (e)

Web wrote:

Probably soon, gravity already has…

Posted by Henry J on September 29, 2005 4:27 PM (e)

Did that last post undergo a frameshift mutation, or what? :scratchhead: