Richard B. Hoppe posted Entry 460 on August 30, 2004 12:41 PM.
Trackback URL: http://www.pandasthumb.org/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/459

Here

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out over time.  (I don’t know how long that archive will last.  If it slides out of view I’ll look for a deeper archive.)

(URL courtesy of Roland98 on II)

RBH

Posted by John Y. Jones on August 30, 2004 1:00 PM (e)

I got the following message:

Item Not Found

The article or page you requested was not found. If this link was sent to you via e-mail or posted on another website, it was probably incorrectly formatted.
If the link that gave you the error appeared on one of The Gate’s pages, please mail us and let us know at webmaster@sfgate.com.

You can also go to our search page at: www.sfgate.com/search.

Posted by Richard Heritage on August 30, 2004 1:20 PM (e)

Try this:

Posted by Russell on August 30, 2004 1:27 PM (e)

FW’s creator, Tom Batiuk, is a fellow Ohioan, which probably figures in his cognizance of this issue.

Posted by Bill Gascoyne on August 30, 2004 1:34 PM (e)

Also found at:

Posted by RBH on August 30, 2004 2:20 PM (e)

John Y. Jones wrote

I got the following message:

Item Not Found

That’s apparently a weird URL. I’ve fixed it so it’s available again, but I don’t know how long it’ll last. The alternatives people have posted still work.

RBH

Posted by Aaron on August 30, 2004 3:58 PM (e)

Weird… Mr. Winkerbean was always such a banal, inoffensive fellow. I don’t envy the person who answers Tom Batiuk’s fan mail right now…

Posted by Michael on August 30, 2004 5:08 PM (e)

Posted by Mike Hopkins on August 30, 2004 9:18 PM (e)

Michael wrote:

Yes, Tom shouldn’t have insulted science fiction by comparing it to “intelligent design” …

I would say he should have compared it to fantasy, but that insults the many excellent works in the fantasy genre in print and on the screen. It is bad fantasy.

Anti-spam: replace “username” with “harlequin2”

Posted by John Y. Jones on August 30, 2004 9:50 PM (e)

It worked! Delightful! :) I never taught high school biology (only 4th grade special ed) but evolution/creationism in public schools is my chosen dissertation topic. Surfed in here just today and found Funky’s words o’ wisdom… hehehe…

Out of curiosity, how does one (can one) contribute to this blog? I’d love to share some of the stuff I’ve found/continue to find re stuff in public schools if it’s appropriate for this forum.

Thanks. And I’m glad to learn I’m not alone. :)

Posted by RBH on August 31, 2004 12:52 AM (e)

By the way, in case anyone missed it, the “Johnny Hart” reference in the strip is a nod to the writer of BC.

RBH

Posted by RBH on August 31, 2004 1:17 AM (e)

And an addendum to the Johnny Hart reference: I’m told by a correspondent on another list that BC occasionally slants in the creationist direction. I have no direct knowledge of that – I don’t follow the strip.

RBH

Posted by Savagemutt on August 31, 2004 8:20 AM (e)

RBH wrote:

And an addendum to the Johnny Hart reference: I’m told by a correspondent on another list that BC occasionally slants in the creationist direction. I have no direct knowledge of that — I don’t follow the strip.

Slants? It’s more like a right angle to reality. Some of Harts strips are little more than 4 panel Jack Chick tracts.

Posted by steve on August 31, 2004 1:38 PM (e)

How many cartoonists use their medium to insult Islam, liberals, the government, and atheists? I’ve seen Hart do all those things, before I quit reading in disgust.

Posted by Aaron on August 31, 2004 3:29 PM (e)

steve wrote:

You can add Jews to the list, too. A few years ago – around Easter, I think – Hart published a strip that showed the branches of a menorah falling off until the menorah became a cross, which appeared as part of a crucifixion/resurrection scene in the last panel. I never read B.C. regularly before then, but now I don’t read it at all…

Posted by RBH on September 1, 2004 4:47 PM (e)

The strip today (9/1/04) takes a strange slant, with a fish flopping out of the sea and up on the beach. The beach says “Hi, it’s Sandy Beach. And here comes a fish which has just evolved from the sea and is now hoping to continue the evolutionary process on land.”

The last panel has a second fish with lipstick and eyelashes flopping up on the beach, saying “Hey there, big boy.”

The Beach comments “Okay … now we’re rolling.”

RBH

Posted by Irrational Robot on September 3, 2004 1:00 PM (e)

Whoever draws Mallard Fillmore would fit the bill…

Posted by Irrational Robot on September 3, 2004 1:02 PM (e)

Whoever draws Mallard Fillmore would fit the bill…

Posted by Steve on September 3, 2004 2:54 PM (e)

Good point. MF is also a lousy comic.

Posted by Russell on September 3, 2004 3:20 PM (e)

I don’t know where Batiuk is going with this Funky Winkerbean story, but I note that these last few (puzzling) installments have been in the “strip within a strip” mode - I think as if appearing in the school newspaper of the school in which “intelligent design” is supposed to be taught.

Posted by RBH on September 3, 2004 4:48 PM (e)

Russell wrote

Yup, that’s what’s going on – note the author squib in the “fish” panels: it’s the students in the outer level panels.

RBH

Posted by RBH on September 4, 2004 1:31 PM (e)

In today’s episode of the strip within a strip, the Beach is ruminating to itself:

“Well, I’m all alone in the dark again. The two fish who had recently evolved from the sea are gone. President Bush came by and threw them back.”

RBH